Building Permits + Codes
Schedule a Building Inspection:
In order to schedule a building permit inspection, please contact the Building Official at least 48 hours in advance via email (preferred) or by phone 913.676.8363.
Permit and Inspection Requirements:
A building permit is required for most renovation or construction work, in the City of Mission, including alterations to the electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems of a building or structure. Exceptions to this requirement may include minor non-structural exterior repairs, interior finish work, and flat work such as sidewalks and driveways. The City’s Building Official performs all commercial and residential plan reviews and inspections. Please direct any inquiries regarding building permits, permit applications, plan reviews and inspections to:
Jim Brown, CBO, LEED GREEN Assoc.
email@example.com | 913.676.8363
All contractors, doing work in the city, must be licensed with the Johnson County Contractor Licensing Program.
You may also contact Johnson County Contractor Licensing at 913.715.2233. Licenses will be verified at the time of permit application.
As a reference, you may use the Building Permit Application Checklist to make sure you have everything required for a successful application.
The City of Mission uses the 2012 International Building Codes Package when reviewing building plans for commercial and residential projects. The package includes:
- International Building Code
- International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- International Fuel Gas Code
- International Plumbing Code Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Existing Building Code
- 2011 National Electric Code
- International Property Maintenance Code
- International Fire Code
- International Energy Conservation Code
- Amendments to the 2012 International Building Code
Code books and amendments are available for viewing at the Planning + Zoning counter in the main lobby of City Hall at 6090 Woodson Street.
Building Permit Fee Schedule and Calculators
- Building Permit Fee Schedule (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing)
- Commercial Calculator
- Residential Calculator
Multiple Trade & Single Trade Permits:
- Commercial Building Permit Application Checklist
- Residential/Commercial Building Permit Online Application
- Homeowner Installation Affidavit
- Demolition Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application
Public Work Permits:
- Stormwater Facility Permit (Post Construction/BMP Manual)
- Land Disturbance Permit (Erosion Sediment Control)
- Right of Way Permit Online Application
Building Requirement Information:
- Fence Requirements
- Garage and Carport Requirements
- Pools – Spas Requirements
- Lawn Irrigation Requirements
- Deck Construction Guidelines
- Re-Roofing Requirements
- Room Addition Requirements
- Basement Finish Requirements
- Moving-Demolition of Buildings Requirements
- Accessory Buildings – Storage Sheds Requirements
For more information, please call the Community Development Department at 913.676.8360.
City of Mission
6090 Woodson Street
Mission, KS 66202
8:00 AM-5:00 PM