This position within the Community Development Department will be responsible for professional work in current and long-range planning. Specifically, the Planner will review and analyze various land use applications including rezoning, plats and subdivisions, special use permits, and preliminary and final site development plans; prepare reports for various review bodies; respond to zoning and development inquiries; and participate on the Development Review Committee. The Planner will also be responsible for special planning projects as assigned including assisting with the update of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
The City of Mission is a first-tier suburb of Kansas City located in northeast Johnson County. The City is currently undergoing a development renaissance with one significant development project recently completed, and another about to begin construction. It is expected that these projects will be the catalyst for future redevelopment activity. The City is undertaking the first update of its Comprehensive Plan in almost 10 years with the intent of positioning the community for future development opportunities. The Community Development Department is also undertaking a transformation to be positioned as a high-performance group able to effectively manage development and redevelopment, building safety, and neighborhood support initiatives. The position of Planner will be instrumental in all of these efforts.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional that is engaged, has initiative, and wants to be a part of something new. The ideal candidate is an individual with the ability to multitask without overlooking details, manage multiple projects both large and small, and be firm with a diplomatic approach.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
First review of resumes will be August 30th. The City is an EOE.
Mission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permit Technician - Community Development
This position within the Community Development Department will be responsible for administrative and technical duties in support of the department and specifically the Building Official and Planner.
Duties include answering general inquiries made by architects, contractors, and the general public in matters pertaining to process and procedures for obtaining various land-use and building permits; receiving and processing applications for review; routing and monitoring applications; following-up with applicants on needed information; issuing permits; coordinating inspections; and maintaining accurate project files. Other duties include preparing agendas and packets for the Planning Commission and taking minutes.
The City of Mission is a first-tier suburb of Kansas City located in northeast Johnson County. The City is currently undergoing a development renaissance with a number of significant redevelopment projects as well as new home and home remodeling projects that have occurred over the past few years. The City is undertaking the first update of its Comprehensive Plan in almost 10 years with the intent of positioning the community for future development opportunities. The Community Development Department is also undertaking a transformation to be positioned as a high-performance group able to effectively manage development and redevelopment, building safety, and neighborhood support initiatives. The position of Permit Technician will be instrumental in all of these efforts.
Preferred: Associate’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Course may be in engineering, construction planning, architecture or a related field. Education or experience demonstrating an ability to read and interpret maps, site and construction plans.
First review of resumes will be August 30. No phone calls please. Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The City of Mission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday with some overtime.
Pay Range: $37,115-53,826
Public Works Equipment Operator I
The City of Mission is seeking a dynamic and team-oriented individual to join our Public Works Department. You’ll join a great team and enjoy a variety of work tasks throughout the year.
The ideal candidate will be able to perform a variety of unskilled and/or semi-skilled work including the operation of a variety of equipment related to the construction, repair and maintenance of the following areas:
- City streets
- Ground maintenance
- Storm drainage facilities and systems
- Snow removal
- Crack seal and asphalt duties
- Following any and all safety procedures and guidelines related to the tasks above
- Current CDL license or ability to obtain within first 6 months of employment
- Considerable knowledge of methods, equipment, materials and safe work practices involved in public works, streets, street drainage, parks, and related facilities repair activities
- Considerable knowledge of types and levels of maintenance and repair functions performed in public works operations
- Considerable knowledge of irrigation system installation and maintenance methods and techniques
- Considerable knowledge of materials and supplies needed for completion of projects
- Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety precautions
Suitable candidates will possess any combination of experience and education needed to perform essential duties and coordinate work regarding the operation, maintenance and repair activities of the City’s public works, parks, and other public works facilities.
The physical requirements for this position are considered heavy work, requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 100 pounds of force occasionally. Must be able to perform the essential job duties with or without an accommodation.
No phone calls please. Submit resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to mention the job title “Equipment Operator I” in your email.
The City of Mission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.51 to $16.50 /hour
Under the supervision of the Aquatic Facility Manager, this position is primarily responsible for supervising patrons at Mission’s aquatics facilities. Lifeguard staff provide first aid, rescue assistance, and emergency assistance as necessary. Employees should possess excellent supervisory, communication, and public relations skills.
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Coordinator, this position is primarily responsible for teaching students how to swim in a safe manner at the Mission Family Aquatics Center. Swim Instructor staff also provides updates to patrons, schedule private lessons, and teach group lessons. This employee should possess excellent supervisory, communication, and public relations skills.
Position starts at $10.00/Hour.
- Must be 16 years of age; or older.
- Must be able to work either T/Th evening and/or Saturday morning
- Must be able to teach 5 to 10 hours of private lessons a week
- Possess Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or have the ability to attain certification through city training.
- Must possess Red Cross CPR/AED/ and First-Aid or have the ability to attain certification through city training.
- Must have the skill and ability to maintain a safe environment for all patrons.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Job Duties, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Follows safety procedures and practices.
- Teach infants, toddlers, and children water safety skills
- Maintain paperwork and update swim lessons as needed
- Work with minimal supervision during assigned class times
- Maintain all equipment used during swim lessons
- Be able to communicate effectively with parents and guardians about students needs
- Keep control of a class size of no more than 6 for toddlers, 8 for teenagers, and 10 for parent infant.
- Be able to teach all swim lesson skills to the standard set by supervisor
How to Apply:
Click here for application, fill out and return to PCC. The recruitment period will stay open until all positions are filled. Interviews will be scheduled after we review your application.
For more information on these positions for the Mission Parks & Recreation Department, please contact Jenna Dickman, Aquatics Facilities Manager, at email@example.com or at 913.722.8207.
We are looking for energetic, motivating, passionate leaders to add to our fitness schedule!
We are interested in many formats/classes including but not limited to HIIT, Yoga, POUND, Insanity, PiYo, Strength, Bootcamp – we are always looking for new ideas! Please send your resume and what you are interested in teaching to be considered for this position.