Mission Bowl Multi-Family Residential Project
Demolition has been completed on the former Mission Bowl. Vertical construction will begin soon, but has been slightly delayed due to supply chain disruptions. The property at 5399 Martway Street includes:
- Ground floor uses fronting Martway Street include live-work units, lobby and leasing office, a screened parking garage, and parks.
- Approximately 164 apartments on floors two through five.
- The apartments will be a mix of two-bedroom, one-bedroom, and studio units.
- Various resident amenities including theater room, fitness area, and clubhouse will also be located on these floors. And, a rooftop pool and patio is included on the fifth floor toward the back of the building.
- A linear park experience along the existing Rock Creek Trail by adding trees, landscaping and pedestrian amenities where none currently exist.
- A pocket fitness park and a small pocket dog park on the west side of the building.
- Garage parking on the first floor of the building, and a surface parking lot behind the building.
The Planning Commission approved this project on August 24, 2020. Learn more in the Planning Commission report (PDF page 9). On September 16, 2020 the City Council passed Ordinance 1522, approving a preliminary development plan with conditions for the construction of a Class A, five-story apartment building on the 3.17 acre lot located at 5399 Martway Street. A final development plan was approved in 2021.
In association with tax increment financing (TIF) approvals at the December 16, 2020 City Council meeting, the apartment complex will dedicate 20% of its units to affordable housing serving households with incomes at 60% of area median income (AMI). The building will also be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certified. Learn more by viewing the packet and video from the 12-16-20 City Council meeting.
The Gateway Development
Construction of the Gateway development project has been paused due to issues with financing. The development agreement, approved in 2017 and amended in 2019, stipulates that the City will issue special obligation bonds in conjunction with the developer’s financing to assist with the construction. However, due to the pandemic, the developer has not been able to secure their financing. Thus, the City will not sell its bonds until these financing issues are resolved.
Currently, there have been no changes to the approved development agreement or any significant updates in the status of the project. The developer provided a project update at the City Council legislative meeting October 21, 2020 which can be viewed at here.
Infrastructure Project Updates
For updates on public infrastructure projects, visit the Infrastructure Project Updates page.
City of Mission
6090 Woodson Street
Mission, KS 66202
8:00 AM-5:00 PM