Click the link to read answers to your questions about why Mission has seen a recent increase in multifamily development proposals and reasons the entire Kansas City region is experiencing a similar scenario.
If you have more questions, contact Karie Kneller, Mission’s City Planner, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Project updates on private developments that are under construction or are in the planning phase are provided below. Learn more about the development process and opportunities for public comment here. You can find the calendar for regularly scheduled Planning Commission and City Council meetings here. The public is welcome to attend.
Thank you for your comments in support of
Planning Sustainable Places (PSP) Funding!
The Mid-America Regional Council recently conducted a call for projects for funding from MARC’s Planning Sustainable Places program. Staff submitted a proposal for a project development grant for Mission:
The public was invited to comment and leave feedback for the review committee at MARC as they choose which recipients will receive funding for their projects. See comments and read about the proposal at the link above. We hope to have good news to share in the coming months!
Read more about MARC’s PSP program here: Planning Sustainable Places | MARC
The Mission Vale Townhome Project, located at 58th Terrace and Nall Avenue, is a two-story, traditional residential design that consists of 17 units with 1 or 2 private garages each. The buildings are set back from the street with a front porch for each unit and a common lawn. The development will be attractive to renters that traditionally might have owned a home, but may prefer a maintenance-provided lifestyle. The location is a block from the downtown Johnson Drive shops and restaurants and within a 1/4 mile of the transit station. Units will rent for the median range per square foot.
A neighborhood meeting was held at Powell Community Center on July 13th from 6-8PM. The Preliminary Development Plan and Rezoning application will be heard by the Planning Commission at Powell Community Center on August 22nd at 7PM. Information will be provided on the City’s calendar by August 18th. This page will be updated when new information is available.
The big biscuit
The Big Biscuit is slated to open another location in Mission at the former Don Chilitos – 6909 Johnson Drive. The franchise has submitted plans that include improvements to the exterior, interior, and the site. The project will be heard by the Planning Commission at a date to be determined.
“Nall58” multi-family development
Moffit Development Co., Inc. submitted a Preliminary Development Plan for a 77-unit multi-family development in Mission’s Downtown Neighborhood District at 58th and Nall Avenue. Units consist of studio, one- and two-bedrooms with tuck-under parking mid-block. The new development would be within 1/4 mile of the transit station near East Gateway on Johnson Drive, and steps away from shops and restaurants.
- on-site leasing and management
- secured entrances
- professionally designed interiors
- fitness center
- bike storage and repair
- in-unit washer/dryer
- private patios/balconies for one- and two-bedroom units
The Planning Commission considered and approved the Preliminary Development Plan and Rezoning Application at the May 23rd Planning Commission Meeting. The City Council approved these items at the June 15 City Council meeting. A Final Development Plan will be considered by the Planning Commission on August 22nd. You can see a PowerPoint Presentation of the project HERE.
The Planning Commission held a public hearing for a replat of the property to combine four properties to form one lot on July 25th. The replat received a unanimous vote of recommendation to the City Council. The City Council will vote on the replat on August 17th.
Foxridge Multi-family development
BK Properties, LLC submitted a Preliminary Development Plan for a 307-unit multi-family development on the site of the former JC Penney Call Center at 56th Street and Foxridge Drive, which has been vacant for more than a decade. The new building would consist of one-, two-, and three-bedroom units that front Foxridge Drive, 56th Street, and Broadmoor Street, with a large interior courtyard over a parking garage podium. The proposed structure is four-five stories with a west-facing clubhouse.
- swimming pool
- pickleball court
- bocce ball court
- BBQ grill
- fire pit
- bike storage and repair
- new sidewalks and crosswalk on Broadmoor
- accommodations for electric vehicles
Rushton elementary Redevelopment
The Shawnee Mission School District plans to redevelop Rushton Elementary at 6001 W. 52nd Street with a new facility and site improvements beginning in 2023. There have been several meetings between designers and stakeholders since 2021 when the concept was first proposed. Incite Design Studio, based in Kansas City, provided Staff with initial renderings in April 2022.
There was an open house scheduled for July 6th between 4-6PM at Rushton Elementary. The public was invited to attend.
Project details include:
- New parking and traffic circulation
- Redesigned building and site articulation
- Additional classrooms
- New walking paths and pedestrian connections
- Outdoor classroom
- New playgrounds
- Proposed Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification
Stride DevCo, LLC, a developer based in the Boulder, CO area, submitted preliminary development plans for a multi-family project on the undeveloped land at 51st and Riggs Road. The development is age-restricted for independent adults aged 55 and older. The proposed development includes:
- 132 market-rate rental units: 112 two-bedroom units and 20 one-bedroom units
- Two four-story residential building wings and a one-story clubhouse with conference rooms, demonstration kitchen, banquet hall, library and media center, fitness rooms and equipment
- Preservation of trees and existing topography to the extent possible during construction; additional trees and landscaping will be planted during the final stage, including evergreens to screen the development from nearby residential properties on Riggs Road
- Private pool, hot tub, community garden, pickleball court, dog park, walking trail, outdoor grills, fire pit
- Pedestrian sidewalk connection along 51st Street to Foxridge Drive
- Primary access on 51st Street with secondary access on the west from Foxridge Drive
The City Council approved the preliminary plan on March 9th.
The developer submitted a Final Development Plan which will be considered by the Planning Commission on October 3rd.
Demolition has been completed on the former Mission Bowl property and construction has begun! The Sunflower Development Group presented updates at the February 2, 2022 Finance and Administration Committee meeting. You can watch the presentation here (1:02:40) and read the packet materials here (pdf page 40).
The property at 5399 Martway Street includes:
- Ground floor uses fronting Martway Street include live-work units, lobby and leasing office, a screened parking garage, and parks.
- Approximately 164 apartments on floors two through five.
- The apartments will be a mix of two-bedroom, one-bedroom, and studio units.
- Various resident amenities including theater room, fitness area, and clubhouse will also be located on these floors. And, a rooftop pool and patio is included on the fifth floor toward the back of the building.
- A linear park experience along the existing Rock Creek Trail by adding trees, landscaping and pedestrian amenities where none currently exist.
- A pocket fitness park and a small pocket dog park on the west side of the building.
- Garage parking on the first floor of the building, and a surface parking lot behind the building.
The Planning Commission approved this project on August 24, 2020. Read the Planning Commission report (PDF page 9). On September 16, 2020 the City Council passed Ordinance 1522, approving a preliminary development plan with conditions for the construction of a Class A, five-story apartment building on the 3.17 acre lot located at 5399 Martway Street. A final development plan was approved in 2021. The development is slated to begin construction in early May 2022.
In association with tax increment financing (TIF) approvals at the December 16, 2020 City Council meeting, the apartment complex will dedicate 20% of its units to affordable housing serving households with incomes at 60% of area median income (AMI). The building will also be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certified. View the packet and video from the 12-16-20 City Council meeting.
The Mission Gateway Development Agreement expired on December 31, 2021. The Gateway Developers have submitted a revised preliminary development plan and a request related to incentives and are seeking to re-engage in negotiation of a new development agreement in connection with the project. View the development team’s presentation to the City Council at a Work Session on February 2, 2022 here.
More details on the project will be forthcoming as they are received.
Infrastructure Project Updates
For updates on public infrastructure projects, visit the Infrastructure Project Updates page.
City of Mission
6090 Woodson Street
Mission, KS 66202
8:00 AM-5:00 PM
6090 Woodson St.
Mission, KS 66202
City Hall: 913.676.8350
Parks + Recreation: 913.722.8200