Recycling, Trash and Yard Waste
GFL, Environmental, Inc. purchased WCA. GFL is Mission’s contractor for trash, recycling and yard waste collection.
- Residential service is provided on a contract basis through the City.
- Residents’ share of the annual cost for this service is collected as an assessment on the property tax bill.
- Residents do not need to do any set-up to begin service. If you move in and find you do not have a roll cart for both trash and recycling, please request one by contacting GFL’s Customer Service team via email or by calling 816.380.5595.
For additional information on service delays/weather updates please follow:
- @GFL Environmental Kansas City – Facebook
- @GFLKC – Twitter
- City’s news webpage here
Report a missed pick-up
If your trash, recycling, yard waste or bulky item is not collected on your regular trash day, report it through the online form.
2023 Bulky Item Collection Schedule
- January 23-27
- February 20-24
- March 27-31
- April 24-28
- May 22-26
- June 26-30
- July 24-28
- August 28-Sept. 1
- Sept. 25-29
- Oct. 23-27
- Nov. 27- Dec.1
- Dec. 26-30
- More Bulky Item Collection Details
GFL observes the following holidays*
- New Year’s Day
- Independence Day
- Christmas Day
Routes will be postponed one day within the weeks when these holidays occur on a weekday.
*When holidays fall on the weekend, all collection services will be scheduled as normal.
- Bulky Item Collection
- Yard Waste
- Additional Recycling
- Glass Recycling
- Electronic Waste and Hazardous Material Recycling
- Household Battery Recycling
- Unique Items
- Residential trash is material generated through normal occupation and operation of a household. Excluded items include, but are not limited to:
- Bulk waste items
- Yard waste
- Construction and demolition debris
- Hazardous waste
- Special wastes
- Place items at the curbside by 7 AM the day of the scheduled collection service.
- Place the trash cart within a foot of the curb, with the arrow facing the street.
- Place trash and recycling carts at least two (2) feet from one another, as well as from objects like mailboxes and parked vehicles.
- Johnson County limits regular collection to 96 gallons of trash per week per home. To dispose of excess trash:
- Overage stickers cost $1.50 each and are available for purchase at City Hall and the Powell Community Center.
- Affix overage stickers to bags.
- Place those bags next to your trash cart. DO NOT set extra bags on top of your cart.
- DO NOT mix yard waste with trash.
A look at items that will and will not be collected for recycling is below. When in doubt, throw it out. Contamination of the waste stream poses a significant threat to the recycling markets.
- Paper Products
- All paper/fiber products (junk mail, newspapers, magazines)
- Corrugated cardboard
- Boxboard cardboard
- Plastic Containers
- Opaque or clear plastic bottles (replace caps), spray bottles (discard nozzles) plastic tubs (replace lids) and plastic buckets 5 gal. and smaller
- Metal Containers
- Aluminum containers
- Steel cans
- Tin cans
- Items NOT Collected for Recycling:
- NO glass products
- NO plastic bags
- NO Styrofoam
- NO packing materials
- NO plastic cups or plastic clamshells
- Do NOT mix yard waste with recycling.
Click here to download a recycling guide with helpful tips.
City of Mission
6090 Woodson Street
Mission, KS 66202
8:00 AM-5:00 PM