Generic filters

View FAQs


What are the hours of operation for City Hall offices? City Hall offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and will be closed on the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day, January 1
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, third Monday in January
  • Memorial Day, last Monday in May
  • Juneteenth, June 19*
  • Independence Day, July 4*
  • Labor Day, first Monday in September
  • Veteran’s Day, November 11*
  • Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November
  • Friday after Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Eve, December 24*
  • Christmas Day, December 25*

*If holiday falls on a weekend, City Hall offices will be closed on the preceding Friday or Monday. Please call 913.676.8350 for confirmation.

How long is a City Councilmember’s term?

Councilmembers are elected to four-year terms. Elections are staggered so that each ward elects a Councilmember every two years.

When are City Council Meetings?

The City Council Legislative Meeting is the third Wednesday of every month at 7:00 PM. The Community Development Committee meets the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 PM, and the Finance and Administration Committee meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30 PM, or immediately following the Community Development Committee meeting.

What is a City Council Work Session?

Work sessions are held when necessary, to allow Council an opportunity to discuss various issues in depth. No action is taken during a Council Work Session. In Mission, Work Sessions are typically held on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 6:30 PM and are open to the public. Check our calendar for details.

What is the difference between a regular City Council Meeting and a Special City Council Meeting?

Regular City Council Meetings are established by ordinance. In Mission, the City Council’s Legislative Meeting is held on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 PM It is during this meeting that formal action is taken by the Governing Body.

On the written request of any three members of Council, the Mayor may call a Special City Council Meeting. These meetings are usually only called when the issue on the agenda cannot wait until the regularly scheduled City Council Legislative Meeting. The specific issue(s) to be discussed must be specified in the meeting call, and no other agenda items may be discussed or acted upon at a Special City Council Meeting.

How are City Council Committees arranged?

City Council members serve on committees as a whole for the Finance and Administration and Community Development Committees. The Mayor appoints the chair and vice chair of each committee. These chair appointments are for one year and are made on or before the first City Council meeting in June.

What Ward am I in?

You can find this information as well as which councilmembers represent you on our Ward Boundaries page.

Where do I vote? What Ward, District Precinct am I in?

Go to the Johnson County Election Office website or call 913.782.3441 to obtain this information.

How do I register to vote?

Learn about your voter registration options at the Johnson County Election Office website, or register online to vote. You can also pick up a voter registration application at City Hall.

Animal Control

Are licenses required for my animals? How do I register them?

Cats and dogs do not need to be licensed with the City of Mission. City ordinance still requires a current certificate of rabies vaccination. Mission residents can have up to four animals total (dogs and cats), but no more than three dogs or three cats. Residents no longer need a permit for a third dog or cat.

Learn more about keeping chickens or bees here.

How do I contact Animal Control?

Call 913.782.0720 for Dispatch.

Mission Family Aquatic Center

When is the Aquatic Center open?

The Mission Family Aquatic Center (MFAC) is open the Saturday before Memorial Day through Labor Day each year. The pool hours are subject to change. Check the schedule for most current information and for adult and open swim times.

How can I become a member?

Season memberships are available for sale. Call 913.722.8200 to purchase or purchase online, view pricing for memberships and daily admission passes here.

How old does my child need to be in order to swim alone?

Children under 12 must have someone 18 or older in the pool area with them at all times.

What are the height/weight requirements for the slides?

Users must 48 inches tall and no more than 300 pounds in order to use the slide.

Are floatation devices allowed?

Arm floats, rafts, noodles and large beach balls are not permitted. U.S. Coast Guard-approved floatation devices are permitted with an adult within one arm’s reach of the floation device and the person/child using it. Users of floatation devices are not permitted on slides or diving boards. If you have questions about whether your device is U.S. Coast Guard-approved, see a member of the pool staff.

Do you offer swimming lessons?

Both group and private swimming lessons are available for members and non-members. Call 913.722.8200 to learn class schedules or to book a lesson.

Mission Market

When is the Market Open? 

The Mission Market is open every Thursday June through August. The market hours are 4:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.

What Happens at the Market?

Fun! In addition to providing high quality, homegrown and homemade local items, we also have a great time. There is live music every week, food trucks, and a beer/wine garden. We are a great community gathering space and we hope you join us each week!

Where is the Market? Where can I park? 

The market is located at 5635 Johnson Drive, just west of Nall Avenue, west of Capitol Federal Savings Bank.

City-owned parking lots are available. One on Outlook Street, one block south of Johnson Drive, behind Paulie D’s Pizza and Fluffy Fresh Donuts. The City owns all three lots on both sides of Outlook, as well as the lot on the east side of Woodson. Each of these lots is connected to the market by the paved Rock Creek Trail. The angled street parking is also available for short-term parking.

Please respect private parking reserved for area apartment residents and other spaces not available for public parking.

How do I become a vendor? 

The market showcases vendors who sell home grown or homemade food or plants, artists and craftsmen who sell handmade goods, and local food trucks selling freshly prepared foods.

Please review the KSU Extension Food Safety for Kansas Farmers Market Vendors: Rules and Regulations document to make sure your products and process meet the requirements.

Please complete the online form to submit your application. Questions? Email Market Coordinator Kate Deacon or call 913.676.8374.

Municipal Court

How do I pay a fine?

Payments for traffic tickets not requiring a mandatory court appearance can be online, over the phone, in person, or by mail. Read more details here.

When is my court date?

Your court date is printed on your ticket, or on the letter you may have received in the mail. If you have a question about your court date, please call 913.676.8325.

I missed my court date. What should I do?

If you missed your court date, call the Municipal Court as soon as possible at 913.676.8325.

Is my court appearance in person or over the phone?

If your court date is on a Tuesday evening, your appearance is in person at 6090 Woodson St.

If your court date is on a Thursday morning, your appearance is in person. Read more details here.

How do I get a continuance for a traffic ticket?

You must call the Municipal Court at 913.676.8325 at least one day before your given court date. Read more details here.

What if I have an equipment violation?

If you have been issued a summons for certain equipment violations, you are eligible to pay half of the original fine if you correct the problem and bring the vehicle to the Municipal Court before your scheduled court date.

Your equipment violation must fall within one of the three categories:

(1) broken or defective lighting equipment

(2) expired license tags

(3) broken mirrors or broken windshields.

A Police Officer will certify that the violation has been corrected and upon approval you will be eligible to pay half of your original fine, which must be paid at the time of vehicle inspection.

What if I was cited for driving without insurance?

If you had valid insurance for the vehicle you were driving on the date cited and simply didn’t have proof at the time of the stop, you can bring such proof to the Court any time before your court date and have the violation dismissed. The insurance coverage will be verified with the State. If you did not have insurance coverage at the time of your citation, you need to obtain coverage for your vehicle and provide proof to the Court at the time of your scheduled Court hearing.


Neighborhood Services

-Do I need a permit for a Dumpster/POD?

Yes, if you do not have an active building permit. Dumpster/POD permits may be obtained through Neighborhood Services at City Hall, or by calling 913.676.8360. There is no charge for the permit; however, a dumpster may only remain on the property for 15 days and a POD for 30 days, one time per year.

How do I start/stop Trash & Recycling Collection, and when does it get picked up?

You do not need to start or stop service since the trash collection is automatically set up through the City contract with GFL. You will not receive a bill, but a portion of your annual tax bill is dedicated to paying for this service under our Solid Waste Utility fee. Service includes weekly curbside pick-up of trash, recycling, yard waste, and monthly bulky item pickup from single-family residences. Click here for a map that shows trash pickup days.

Does the City provide a leaf removal service?

No, but GFL will pick up leaves with your regularly scheduled trash pickup. You may place up to 10 leaf bags/yard waste on the curb each week throughout the year. For extra leaf bags/yard waste, you may purchase an overage sticker for WCA to service weekly. Overage stickers are $1.50 each and can be purchased during regular business hours at City Hall (6090 Woodson St.) or the Powell Community Center (6200 Martway St.). Click here for more information about solid waste collection. To learn more about local services that have yard waste drop-off locations, please call Neighborhood Services at 913.676.8360.

What type of assistance does the City offer to businesses?

The City offers the Business Improvement Grant for building repairs, sidewalk and streetscape improvements, new signs and awnings, and certain energy efficiency improvements. More information on how to apply is here.

Outdoor Parks

How do I make a park reservation at one of Mission’s eight City Parks? What are the fees?

Please contact Natalie Lucas, Rental Coordinator via email or by phone at 913.722.8215 to make a park reservation. Fees are as follows:

Residents: $10/hour with a $5 permit fee (non-refundable)

Nonresidents: $15/hour with a $5 permit fee (non-refundable)

What are the park hours?

Mission’s parks are open from 6AM-10PM.

Parks reservations available from 9AM-10PM.

Is alcohol allowed at Mission City Parks?

Alcohol is not allowed at Mission’s parks. If you are planning a larger event, submit a Special Event Permit.


Do I need a fence permit?

Yes, fence permit applications are required for any new fence, an extension of an existing fence, or when more than 50% of an existing fence is being replaced. There is no fee for this permit.

Do I need a permit to replace my existing roof?

Yes, a building permit application for both residential and commercial roofs are required. Please click here for an application.

How do I obtain a building or single-trade permit?

Property owners and/or contractors must submit a building permit application either via email to Kalin Bird or to:

Community Development Department
City Hall
6090 Woodson Street
Mission, KS 66202.

Contractors must be licensed with Johnson County Contractor Licensing. Homeowners who are doing the work must also submit a Homeowner Installation Affidavit.

Police Department

How do I claim a towed vehicle?

To claim a vehicle that has been towed, you must first receive a written release from the Mission Police Department. View more details, including how to obtain a vehicle release outside of normal business hours, here.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Officers are given three working days to complete a report. The Police Department Office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. The cost of a report is $5.00 and we can accept cash or check only.

Accident reports are available online for a charge of $9.00. 

View more on Accident Reports + Discovery Requests

How do I get my fingerprints taken?

Fingerprint services are available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the Mission Police Department. Read more about scheduling an appointment and what to expect here.

Who provides Fire Services to Mission residents?

Johnson County Consolidated Fire District #2 provides fire services to Mission residents

Powell Community Center

Are adult fitness classes and Child Watch included in my monthly membership dues to the Powell Community Center (PCC)?

All fitness and yoga classes are included with your PCC membership. You don’t have to be a member to take classes. Members get a discount for utilizing Child Watch at $1 per child for up to two hours maximum. PCC Membership Information – click for more information.

Can I sign up for membership to the Powell Community Center and the Mission Family Aquatic Center online?

Yes!  You can purchase a membership to the Powell Community Center or the Mission Family Aquatic Center here.

Can I sign up for Mission Summer Camp online?

At this time, online enrollments are not available. You may view all of your account information, including tax statements (for 2014 and beyond), by logging in to your Mission Recreation account.

Can I take a class one time at the Powell Community Center?

Most adult fitness classes are included with the purchase of a daily pass to the facility.

I forgot my Mission Recreation online user I.D. and/or password.

Go to the Online Mission Recreation Portal and take the following steps:

  1. Click “Account.”
  2. Click “I forgot my username or password.”
  3. Enter your email address associated with your account and click “Submit.”

Be sure to check your spam folder.

I/We are visiting from out of town. Am I able to bring my family to the Powell Community Center?

Yes! Our daily rates are as follows:

  • Youth (under 18): $5
  • Adults: $7
  • Seniors (60 and up): $5

What age must my child be to use the exercise equipment upstairs at the PCC?

Youths ages 14 and older are allowed to use the exercise equipment upstairs at the Powell Community Center. We do have a youth weight room badge for children ages 12-13. They must complete a personal training session with one of our trainers and must have a parent or guardian with them during workouts.

At what age can my child use the facility unaccompanied by an adult?

Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian (14 and older) in all areas of the facility. Learn more on our Facility Information page.

What are the age requirements for being at the indoor pool at the Powell Community Center by yourself? At what age can you be considered a guardian for other children?

Children under 10 years old must have supervision on the pool deck. Adults (guardians) are considered 14 years and older. Learn more on our Aquatics Information page.

What time can I bring my children to swim at the Powell Community Center?

Check the latest Activity Guide for open swim times. Please contact the entry desk attendant at 913.722.8200 for special times when school is not in session during the school year.

Public Works

How do I report a problem with a street light or traffic signal?

Contact the Public Works Department at 913.676.8375 or report your concern online.

How does the City handle snow removal?

Public Works crews have adopted a priority route for snow removal. Major thoroughfares such as Nall, Johnson Drive and Lamar get first priority; residential streets that have hills are next, followed by the remaining street. Check our snow removal map to see where your house or business appears.

How do I get a right-of-way permit?

Learn about what is required for a right-of-way permit here.

Pin It on Pinterest