Engage in the Planning Process
The land use development process is designed to be predictable, with specific touch points for developers and property owners, neighbors, the Planning Commission and the City Council.
Public hearings give residents and applicants an opportunity to address the Planning Commission prior to decisions on proposed developments.
When speaking at a public hearing, the following suggestions will help Planning Commissioners take your public comment into full consideration.
- Familiarize yourself with the application by visiting with the planner assigned to the case, attending any scheduled neighborhood meetings and reading the staff report. The staff report is available the Friday before each meeting.
- Be familiar with the criteria used to make land use decisions. Present well-reasoned arguments based on these criteria. Decision makers can only consider relevant testimony.
- Keep your comments clear and concise.
- Avoid repeating comments made by others. Organize with others who have the same concerns and explain to the Planning Commission that one person speaks on behalf of your group.
- Please be kind.
In order to ensure that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, the Chair person may limit the time for each speaker. If you represent a large group of residents or need other accommodations, please let City staff know in advance.
Public comments may also be submitted via email or letter. The deadline for submitting comments is one week prior to the Planning Commission meeting. Email comments to Brian Scott or mail comments to City Hall ℅ Planning Commission Staff 6090 Woodson Street, Mission, KS 66202 or drop them off at City Hall between 8 AM-5 PM, Monday-Friday.
Stay Up To Date
- Learn about the status of development projects on our Current Projects page.
- Join the City email list to receive newsletters, updates, and other information.
- Follow the City’s social media accounts: Facebook, Nextdoor and Twitter
- View the agendas and minutes of public meetings. The Planning Commission meets the fourth Monday of each month and meetings are open to the public. Packets are available online the Friday before each meeting.
If you have questions about Mission development, contact Brian Scott, Assistant City Administrator, by email or at 913.676.8353.
City of Mission
6090 Woodson Street
Mission, KS 66202
8:00 AM-5:00 PM