Since March 2020, we have worked successfully together to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and the impacts it has had on our lives. We appreciate your patience as the City and our staff at the Powell Community Center have responded to various federal, state, county and local decisions intended to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 throughout our communities.
Our commitment to your health and safety, along with that of our employees and the broader community remains our top priority. In recent weeks, a surge in cases related to the Omicron variant is taking a toll on our schools and more critically, our health care systems. In response, the City Council has been working with staff to re-evaluate our current operations and protocols. In addition, a Citywide ordinance will take effect on January 18, 2022 requiring all individuals to wear face coverings in indoor public places.
Based on the current situation throughout the County, a number of protocols at the facility will be updated and modified effective Sunday, January 16, 2022. Please know these steps are being taken to continue to provide the safest and best experience for both you and our team.
Powell Community Center Guidelines
- Masks must be worn by all patrons (aged 6+) at all times in the Powell Community Center, including while actively exercising with the following exceptions:
- While in the water in the indoor pool. (Masks are required at all other times while in the pool area including the hot tub and deck.)
- While in a private rental space where food/beverage is being served.
- While in a private rental space where persons are engaged in religious services, ceremonies or activities.
- Masks are recommended for children aged 2-5.
- Pickleball, racquetball, basketball, cardio and weight training participants must wear masks at all times, even during play/sets.
- South Entrance is the exclusive access to the Community Center
- North Entrance is temporarily closed
- 6 ft. or more social distancing is mandatory and will be enforced by staff
- Signage will show flow of traffic throughout the facility, area closures & reminders
- Patrons must sanitize equipment after use; recommend sanitizing before use
- Staff on hand to assist and ensure equipment is clean for next patron
- Hand sanitizers located throughout the facility for convenience & safety
- Strict 30 min. limits on cardio & selectorized equipment
In addition to the masking requirements, water fountains will be temporarily disabled, but water bottle filling stations will be available. We encourage you to bring your own water bottle while using the facility.
Update Jan. 7, 2022: The Welcome Lounge is now a modified fitness area with Nu-Steps, recumbent bikes, power plate, hand weights and exercise bands. All patrons using this area must be masked at all times, including while exercising. (Please note the Nu-Steps are reserved MWF 9AM-3PM for the American Stroke Foundation.)
Indoor Playground has been temporarily suspended through January 31, 2022. Staff will reevaluate in February.
- Modified hours:
M/W 5:30-11AM, 1-8:30PM
T/TH/F 5:30-11AM, 3-8:30PM
- Lap lanes are available by reservation; limited open swim options
- Call 913.722.8200 to reserve a lap lane and for current daily schedule
- Hot Tub is open; 2 person capacity
- Pickleball M-F 12:15-3:15PM – 3 courts
Personal Training and Fitness Classes
- Personal training available by reservation and one-on-one
- Modified fitness classes available with limited occupancy
- Reserved cardio equipment times available by calling 913.722.8200
- Modified hours Monday-Friday 8-11 AM, M-TH 4:30-8:30 PM, SAT 7:30-11:30 AM
- Call 913.722.8200 prior to arrival to confirm availability and hours
- Ages: 2-9 years
- Masking for children is recommended
- $1 for members and $3 for non-members
Your health and safety is our highest priority. We also value transparency and the opportunity it affords you to weigh risk. Our standard in maintaining transparency is to disclose confirmed positive cases online and contact individuals who were interacting with the team member during the time in question.
Mission Parks + Recreation
6200 Martway Street
Mission, KS, 66202
5:30 AM-9 PM
5:30 AM-1 PM